How to Clean Eyeglasses Properly, and What Not to Do
by Vicci Eyewear on Mar 02, 2022
Eyeglasses help us with our vision needs and require good care. One way to take good care of them is by cleaning them properly. We’ll tell you how.
Whether you wear prescription glasses for specific vision needs or simply wear blue light blocking or anti-glare glasses, specs take good care of our eye health. This is why we need to take care of them as well by keeping them clean and avoiding any damage. When it comes to cleaning eyeglasses there are a few dos and don’ts that need to be followed to ensure you are left with sparkling clean glasses without any damages.
- Make sure your hands are clean, wash them well to rid them of oils and dirt before you start to clean your glasses. Make sure you use a handwash that is not moisturizer-based as it can leave residue on your hands which can smudge the lenses.
- The next step is to rinse them under a gentle flow of lukewarm water. This is to ensure that all the dirty particles are washed away. Skipping this essential step may lead to dirt particles scratching the lenses.
- Now move on to using a tiny amount of mild lotion-free liquid soap to clean your glasses. Take a little on your fingertips and gently clean your glasses, this includes cleaning all the parts, the frames, lenses, nose pads—everything.
- You need to now go back to the second step and rinse away all the soap with lukewarm water. Make sure you get all soap because leaving behind any soap will cause your lenses to be coated with a sticky residue.
- The last step is to dry them with a lint-free cloth or a microfiber cloth. Make sure you rub the cloth gently on them to not scratch the lenses.
- Never wipe your glasses on any cloth material such as your clothes without rinsing them first, because the debris on the glasses when in contact with the cloth will scratch your lenses. In case you are unable to wash them always keep a microfiber cloth with you as a backup for cleaning.
- Never wash your glasses in hot water, as this will cause significant damage to your lenses and the coatings. Always opt for lukewarm water only.
- Do not spray glass cleaners or window-cleaning sprays on your glasses this will damage the lenses. If you absolutely must use some cleaning agent, then use a cleaning solution spray made specifically for cleaning eyeglasses. Or the mild lotion-free liquid soap we advised.
- Do not use dishwashing soap or liquid detergent to remove grease stains from your glasses, these will damage your lenses and corrode the lens coating. Your best bet is to use a tiny drop of lotion-free liquid soap as mentioned above.
There you have it folks the dos and don’ts of eyeglass cleaning. If you’re on the search to purchase eyeglasses online look no further than our eyeglass online store to pick a pair for yourself.